Mary Is The Image Of This New Family
On January 27, 1946 Msgr. Raymond Rutkowski celebrated the first Mass in the parish of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The parish had been established by Archbishop John Gregory Murray only six days earlier, on January 21, 1946. At the beginning there were only 76 families. Now there are 1500 households. The Church of the Presentation worshiped in Gladstone School until Christmas of 1947, then, in what has come to be known as Kenney Hall for nearly 20 years, and for 40 years in the present beautiful church building.
The founders of this parish, our parents and grandparents, sacrificed much to give us many gifts. One such gift is this parish campus and beautiful church. As good stewards, we are careful to keep it in repair. Another, more important gift is the gift of faith. The founders of this parish were people profoundly affected by World War II. They were soldiers returning from battle or people struggling for those long years on the home front. Presentation’s first family of faith was serious in its commitment to the Catholic faith. Our parents and grandparents were conscientious in practicing what they believed. By their own example of faithfulness they passed that faith to their children. We in turn have the duty, as faithful stewards, to continue our conscientious practice, both inside and outside our church building and to pass that faith to the next generation. We are given the mission of preaching the Gospel to the ends of the earth. We need to start closer to home with the children of this generation.
Mary is the image of this new family. She has become what this family and each of its members hope to become: always ready, always open to receive the Word of God, always open to do God’s will, ready to take our place in the divine plan of salvation. The Feast of the Presentation of Mary celebrated on November 21st is our patronal feast, the title under which we are dedicated to the service of God. On any and every anniversary of this parish, we offer our prayers that God grant us many more decades of hearing the divine word and putting it into practice, as did Mary.
Installed Pastors’ past and present:
1946-1977 Monsignor Raymond Rutkowski
(Monsignor retired in 1977, died August 29, 1986)
1977-1985 Father William J. Kenney
1985-1988 Father Thomas H. Seig
1988-1992 Father Laurence R. Johnson
1993-2002 Father Charles V. Lachowitzer
2002-2007 Father Phillip J. Rask
2007-present Father Mark Huberty